Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Because of Winn-Dixie: A Small Read with a Big Heart

As my title suggests, Because of Winn Dixie is a tale that will certainly tug at your heartstrings! It tells the tale of India Opal Buloni, a ten year-old narrator with the same honest and endearing qualities of Scout Finch, who moves to Naomi, Florida one summer with her preacher father and learns more about life than she ever bargained for. Opal's mother, a free spirit with a dark past, abandoned the family when Opal was just 3. Opal and her father are close but her father remains emotionally distant when it comes to the past, hiding the pain of his lost love. When Opal and "the preacher" (as Opal calls her father) move to Naomi, life as they know it is turned upside down because of Winn Dixie, an ugly mutt of a dog with a tendency towards the mischievous who adopts Opal almost upon her arrival. Winn Dixie's astounding ability to make friends everywhere he goes, Opal encounters a town full of personalitie, including an ex-con who charms his pet store charges with his guitar to the neighborhood "witch" whose musings are profound, all of whom help Opal through this coming of age.

I absolutely loved Because of Winn Dixie. Opal reminded me SO much of Scout Finch, one of my favorite literary heroines, that I immediately warmed to her. Her naive yet wise voice spoke volumes and drew me in, so much so that I was nearly brought to tears over the course of the novel and I didn't want it to end! Each chapter sort of reads like its own short story - all have a clear message of their own but also weave together to build towards the larger plot. This is something that I believe really speaks to the story-telling skills of the author, Kate DiCamillo.Because of Winn Dixie was the first book published by the much-lauded author DiCamillo, the mind behind contemporary major children's books like The Tale of Desperaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

Avid movie-goers might also recognize the title because it was made into a movie in 2005 by the same name. One potential activity associated with the book could be to read the story and then watch the movie and compare and contrast what was the same in both versions and what was changed in the adaptation. This activity would give students practice at making double bubble maps and comparison. Scholastic.com also has some great activities that could be used for enrichment or extension, including a "Watch the Story Grow" section where students can read and compare the various drafts that Kate DiCamillo developed throughout the writing process and an interview with the author on how she develops a story. This could provide a lot of inspiration to children who don't like to write or who are bogged down by the at times lengthy nature of the writing process. You can check out all of the above activities at http://www.scholastic.com/winndixie/. The author's website also supposedly has a teacher's guide for Winn Dixie but since opening it made my computer freeze twice and nearly cost me this blog post, check it out at your own risk.

Overall, I cannot recommend this book enough. Judging from my fifth grade class, it seems to be popular with a lot of girls but I think boys will definitely identify with a lot of the issues Opal deals with and the adventures that she and Winn Dixie embark upon together. If you are looking for a great realistic fiction read that will keep you wanting more, check out Because of Winn Dixie.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great book! I'd read it with 4th graders before and boys and girls alike loved it. I never made the connection between Opal and Scout, but I definitely see that now...awesome connection! You're right about each chapter kind of reading as its own story. In the classroom, you could have kids act out each chapter separately as an extension activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something about animal stories that seem to warm the heart. I, unfortunately, have never read "Winn Dixie," but everybody I know who has read it cannot say enough about it. I suppose it is time for me to pick up a copy (when I get a few spare minutes, that is...) I have seen pieces of the movie. Does the film do justice to the actual story? I think that the compare/contrast activity you suggest is an excellent idea, and it is something I think the children would love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many times we see books that do not engage defferent types of students, whether it be based on gender, level of maturity, life experience, or some other extinuating circumstances. As you discribe this book, it seems to do just that. Also, when each chapter is a story it itself, that builds toward the end of the book, I feel that I (and no doubt students) can build comprehension. So many times we read a chapter, put it down, and come back to it, only to have forgotten what was happening to the characters! I feel that students could benefit as much from scaffolding provided by the author as they can from the teacher! Thanks for the great synopsis! And what a great lesson idea!

    ReplyDelete